< Return to projects
eWhiteboard Gamification Platform
In-depth user research for a product redesign
May - July 2019
Market research, Competitive analysis, User interviews, Empathy mapping, User personas
The eWhiteboard Company, LLC
I was contacted to run an extensive user research project to explore whether integrating a gamification model into an existing platform would benefit the product and its users.
The platform, eWhiteboard, is a web app that tracks production numbers for the debt collection industry and provides insights for agents and managers to improve performance.
The overall objective for the research project was to provide a report with product recommendations that would lay the groundwork for integrating the gamification feature. I worked with the company President to narrow down 3 goals for the project:
- Updating eWhiteboard features to meet user needs
- Understand users’ goals and pain points with the current product
- Pinpoint ways in which eWhiteboard can result in better agent performance
Once I conducted primary and secondary research, I was able to gather multiple insights and recommendations. The biggest takeaway from my research was that the gamification model would most likely succeed if:
- Contests were designed to encourage collaboration
- Users had a clear idea of historical performance trends and limiting external factors
- The platform prioritized positive reinforcement and community building
After concluding the project, I was asked to join in the next phase of development as a product designer. Unfortunately, I was in the process of wrapping up my freelance work to join my current role and had to decline.
Through a recent conversation with the company, I learned that they eventually used my report to move forward with the gamification idea and released a new product that focused solely on it.